Sunday, March 13, 2011

Brennan at SXSW

SXSW is not an academic conference. All the panels I've attended have at least 50 people. I am learning this the hard way. 3 of the 6 sessions I've attended so far I had to wait to get in and then had to sit on the floor. Most of the sessions I've been to have over 100 attendees and a couple had a good many more.

Everyone has a laptop, iPad, or iPhone open during the sessions, and all but 2 so far take questions throughout the time of the panel through twitter. I've been surprised that a lot of the panels have had basic technology problems even though there is an army of SXSW technology assistants in all the rooms. It's kind of refreshing actually. All the speakers deal with the problems without skipping a beat.

No one has just read a paper.

My plan is to create an entry for several of the more interesting panels I attend. I will give the title, the participants, and the summary they provided. I will then share what I felt were the most important points. Following is a list of panels I attended and a link to that panel. Some include audio from the panel:

Death of the Textbook, Emergence of Games


The Potential of Augmented Reality for Education


Interactive Comics: Techniques to Enhance Math Education


It's Not Tv, It's Social Tv


Why Visualizing Government Data Makes Taxpayers Happy


Time Traveling: Interfaces for Geotemporal Visualization


Decision Trees: YouTube's New Breed of Interactive Storytellers


Building Fences in the Sky: Geo-Fencing Has Arrived


Keynote Simulcast: Christopher Poole


People-Powered: Technology's Role in the People's Revolution


B

No comments:

Post a Comment